Wednesday 26 December 2012

Suspended Sculptures 1

I find that working on one project usually triggers ideas for more designs. To this end I keep a sketch book devoted to ideas for glass projects. Often, what is eventually made is in itself an evolution of the idea in the sketch book.

My final project on the course was a three dimensional star constructed from square bevels.


While working on it I could see a number of possible developments, primarily by using coloured glass and by changing the shape of the component pieces.

My next step was a combination of the two, using coloured glass in 'kite' shapes that kept the 90° angle for the core of the sculpture.



This resulted in a more obvious star shape, but with the same basic structure. I used wispy amber glass for the vertical arms and a transparent amber with surface texture for the other arms. I also treated the solder with copper patina to get away from the bright silver lines that distract from the colour and texture of the glass (but would all to soon become a dull grey).

 For me the pleasure of glass is seeing it changing the light that shines through it.


The projected sunlight in this image enhances the texture of the glass surface.



A week or two later I decided to extend the basic design using coloured glass squares and bevels. A simple jig was set up to cut a selection of coloured two inch squares (which incidentally inspired another cubic design).

While quite simple in concept this piece proved something of a challenge to construct. I really need a bench vise with a swivel head to hold the pieces for soldering. As it was I made do with the two salvaged computer hard drives, blocks of wood, card and push pins. These enabled me to position the work to keep the joint being soldered horizontal.




The two bevels throw highlights, enhancing the projected colours.

The solder has been treated with a more complicated patina, using copper and black, to give an antiqued finish. While holding the piece and polishing I was reminded of my sextant, with its selection of square coloured filters that could be pivoted over the telescope lens and horizon glass to protect the eyes from the full strength of the sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment