Wednesday 19 December 2012

In the Begining

Someone said, if in doubt, start at the beginning and continue until you get to the end.

The problem is, where to begin - as an architectural student? perhaps.

Working with glass? probably.

Somewhere over 40 years ago I lived in an old farm house in England. The windows were old, and made of small pieces of glass held together by lead strips. Some of the small panes were broken, which made my bedroom cold in the winter. Not knowing anything about working with lead I repaired the windows by removing the broken pieces and replacing them with new glass while still in the frame.

Sometime later my father, an architect, had a client who was renovating an old country house and needed the windows restored. "Sean did ours, ask him." These windows were in a far worse state, with thin, probably weathered and eroded lead came. I removed every window from its frame and rebuilt it with new lead. In those days the local hardware shop stocked the lead but I had to find out by trial and error how to work it.

 My life moved on, but I have always been fascinated by glass, light, and reflections.

View from Orkney home


Tug seen on the Caledonian Canal


Evening light
Kinlochaline Castle - reflections and seaweed
For more of my watercolours go to:
 http://www.etsy.com/shop/HAMNAVOE?section_id=12568160

Last summer at a local craft fair on the Isle of Skye I saw some fused glass and decided that this could make an absorbing winter project that would draw together my artistic and technical interests. While still sailing I looked for suitable courses to take during the winter in Toronto. There were two organisations offering glass courses within reach of our house. Judging by their websites Fantasy in Glass seemed the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment