Sunday 23 December 2012

Fantasy in Glass 2

Weeks 3 and 4 of the course were for a three dimensional project. Treece had shown us samples and patterns during the first two weeks, so we knew where we were heading. None of the three who turned up for the third week used one of the class patterns, but all came with our own ideas.

Treece is an expert with decorative solder and ornamentation


At first Treece could not understand my pattern, but then became quite enthusiastic about it. It was a simple cube, standing on a cut (or truncated) corner. This time we had to buy our own glass, so I was overwhelmed by the choice in the shop. 3D or dimensional work is usually done using the copper foil technique. My cube was finished and ready to take home after staying on a bit longer than the scheduled time. I had thought of the sculpture as a candle holder, but was warned that the top would trap heat and might crack the glass.



I needed something for the last week. A web search found an interesting little 3D project. This seemed a good idea as I was not sure if there was a different technique when using bevels. No pattern this time, just the idea in my head and six nice shinny clear square bevels. Unfortunately, Treece came across to see what I was doing just as I realised that I had tack soldered a piece in the wrong position and was melting the joint.

Teaching studio

Figimodo checking my tool kit while I foil a bevel
Eventually it all came together in the correct order, giving a nice little 3D star.





Was the course worth it?
Most definitely, FIG is the place to learn stained glass techniques with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic team. I left each of the last two sessions with glass and tools to set up a basic home studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment