Monday 16 December 2013

Adding depth to fused glass 2

Early spring saw me thinking more sculpturally and starting to obtain slight relief by fusing over fibre blanket forms. As the relief is on the back of the work it only works with transparent glass and preferably back lighting. The technique is sometines refered to as bass relief, although strictly speaking the form should then be on the front face of the artwork.

First experiments were with slumping bottles, including giving some form to an otherwise flat plate that was difficult to pick up from a table.





Once happy that the technique worked I tried fusing glass over simple shapes.





Just before leaving to get the boat ready for the summer season I tried a much more complicated design. Again, the work was fused directly onto the pattern pieces but with so many small elements some moved with the glass as it formed. The overall patern is recognisable as a celtic knot but I was not happy with the detail. I could have fused first, then slumped the glass over the pattern, but would not have been able to relate coloured elements directly to the design.


This piece uses coarse adventurine frit, streaky green transparent and clear glass.

My final piece of the winter season was a bit of fun. As with all my suncatchers the suspension point for the single wire is cast in the glass. With this piece its location was something of a guess, as I could not find the balance point until it was fused. Fortunately my guess proved to be right!








No comments:

Post a Comment